There is not much difference between skipping rope and jumping rope. Most people on the web state its more of a verbiage thing; skipping rope is British English vs. jumping rope is American English. There also a group that claims skipping is a different movement then jumping. For the sake of this article I will use the 2 words as the same!
There are many reasons why you should incorporate skipping rope into your training regimen. A Study from the Journal of Research Quarterly. AAPAR found that jumping rope is one of the most effective cardio exercises out there. After six weeks of jumping rope for 10-minutes a day, participants showed a vast improvement to their cardiovascular conditioning similar to those who jogged for 30 minutes a day.
Benefits of Skipping rope:
- Improves Coordination – Skipping is a great way to improve functional movements like footwork, balance and agility. For this reason many athletes like boxers, martial artists, and soccer players incorporate rope jumping into their training for improved coordination.
- Full Body Workout – Incorporating upper, lower and core. Your lower body is constantly bouncing, your arms and shoulders are always in motion, and your abdominal area is involved too.
- Stimulate both aerobic and anaerobic training – Most people end up in both of these zones during a workout. However, this is dependent on the intensity of the person.
- Increases joint strength, and improves bone density.
- Increases leg power and endurance – Over time you will gradually build up intensity and increase the duration of the workout. This will help with developing rhythm and complexity of the movements, progressively improving your endurance.
- Tones muscle and reduces fat – Because these muscles are heavily engaged in the activity, you’ll notice greater tone and shape in both your arms and legs.
- Torches Calories. Very few exercises burn calories like skipping rope, 30 minutes can burn roughly 300 calories.
Overall this is a great exercise to start incorporating into your workouts. Not only will you quickly see the benefits, but you will notice how much fun you’re having with it!